New York Relays

More stories from Katie Raggazino

Pottsgrove track traveled down to New York, NY this past Saturday to compete in the New York Relays. We had many personal best, won many medals, and had district qualifying times. Our Friday competitors were Cory Jubilee-Scott who got 5th place in the boys varsity discus, throwing a 127-3. Trevon Foster and Tre Cook ran in the boys 110 meter hurdle prelims getting 3rd and 6th and a chance to run in the finals on Saturday. 

On Saturday we started the day off with a girls 4×100 shuttle relay and our “A” relay took home 3rd. Trevon and Tre then ran in the 110 meter hurdle finals; Trevon got 3rd with a PR of 14.8 and Tre got 4th with a time of 15.35. The freshman 4×100 relay team got 6th with a time of 47.66 then 7th in the SMR (speed medley relay) with a time of 4:13.81; the girls freshman SMR got 4th with a time of 4:47.28. Our girls 4×100 relay team had two PRs and got 4th with a district qualifying time of 50.49, while our boys 4×100 relay team got 5th with a time of 43.75.

The field events also had a show out in both throws and jumps. Bryson Ellis threw a PR of 127-7 in the boys javelin and got 7th place. Hannah Schmuck got 6th place with a throw of 74-6. In shot-put Cory Jubilee-Scott got 2nd with a 48-6 foot throw, Merric Johnson got 18th with a PR of 35-11, Tarienah Chandler got 9th, and Paige Petersen got 35th. In long jump Xavier Leibensperger got 5th with a jump of 20-8.25, Kamal Curry got 19th, Athena Phinnessee got 3rd with a jump of 15-3.5, and Sanaiya Bellamy got 10th. 

Head coach Wright talked about how he felt about the performance of the team, “Everyone should be very proud of themselves. I’ve been down to the relays with two other teams and this has been the most amount of metals I’ve come back with.” Sophomore Harper Latham who is a part of the girls 4×100 relay team said this about their district qualifying time, “I’m so beyond proud of the girls for our accomplishment, it feels amazing to have our work finally pay off.”

Being the only full Pennsylvania team at this meet, we represented ourselves well. This meet will be a returning one for the Pottsgrove track team from now on and we hope to keep our success in the years to come, with our young freshman and sophomore talent I’m sure that won’t be a problem.