The Althouse Arboretum

More stories from Lauren Vaughan

The Althouse Arboretum is a place dedicated to youth empowerment, leadership and sustainability. It hosts events planned and run by high school students from different schools in the area. Some upcoming events include a Craft Night held on April 21st, where families are invited to recycle items and make them into something new and artsy! They are hosting a Scavenger Hunt 5k on May 6th, where groups of friends and family can go out to run or walk a 5k all while finding their clues together. They are hosting a Mother’s Day plant sale on May 13th, which is an all day event that gets pretty busy where students sell flowers and other plants! To volunteer for these events you can contact people like Mrs. Smoyer, Mr. Hamilton, or Mrs. Compton who will put information out about opportunities for volunteering in Schoology or you can find these in your email. There are lots of opportunities out there and a great place hidden right in our community is The Althouse Arboretum!

Another awesome event that Spark The Wave club is doing is their Youth Empowerment Day on May 18th, where students will get an even deeper opportunity to learn about the benefits of volunteering and they will get to meet the nonprofits looking for volunteers! The day-long event includes presentations of past student volunteers, volunteer workshops, the chance to work on a service project, and a free lunch!