Serious Case of Senioritis

Serious Case of Senioritis

Carlee Datillo

As we approach the end of the school year, students are more eager than ever to move onto their next year of high school, but the seniors are especially eager to move onto their next phase in life. After the class of 2022 throws their caps on June 10, they get to move on from their high school lives and be an independent adult and choose the next steps in their lives. Senioritis, which is a decline in motivation among the senior class of a high school due to wanting to get out, starts at the very beginning of the year, but quickly progresses as the school year goes on. Seniors here at Pottsgrove have begun the fourth quarter, and there are so many exciting opportunities in the next few months! Senior class trip, commitment day, senior picnic, senior walk, awards, and most importantly, graduation! Celebrating with our friends, families, and schoolmates on our future endeavors is very exciting for the seniors as they have worked so hard to get to where they are and to where they want to be, but first we have to get through the rest of dreadful high school. 

For most seniors here, it seems everyone is just dragging their feet along to get their schoolwork done and grab that diploma. Getting to talk to a couple of seniors here, I learned just how eager they are to get out of here. “Getting into the fourth quarter this year really just makes me want to drop all of my work, grab my diploma and start my college life, I can’t wait to be over with high school.” says senior Olivia Shuster. This time of year can also be very emotional for a lot of students and some people feel  intimidated to leave their community and school they have been a part of for so long, but it is almost time to say goodbye. Pottsgrove has shown us a lot and taught us the things we need to know, but our time is up here, and we must move on. So seniors, keep pushing through, don’t slack after coming this far, and get ready to grab that diploma!