Winter Melody Magic

Winter Melody Magic

Sydney Renner

Winter holidays are here! Not only was the cold air a sign of holiday fun, but the sounds of angelic voices, the plucking of strings, and blaring horns were too! On December 8, 2021, Pottsgrove High School’s Music Department kicked off seasonal celebrations with their winter holiday concert. Not only did the department host a beautiful concert, but they also began a new concert tradition—Pottsgrove Music Department Christkindlmarkt! The combination of events surely made the students and guests feel the magic and sparkle that comes from the holiday season! 

The Pottsgrove Music Department Christkindlmarkt was held at the Pottsgrove Middle School (same location as the concert) and ran from 4:30 pm to show time at 7 pm. The festival contained music, food, and craft stands run by students within high school clubs and outside organizations.  The Two music groups, Brass Quintet and Choir Workshop, had performed pieces only for the Christkindlmarkt. The Brass Quintet performed songs such as Rudolph The Red-nosed Reindeer and Angels We Have Heard on High. Choir Workshop performed an acapella version of White Winter Hymnal by Fleet Fox’s. With the combination of festive music, food, crafts, and cheery behavior, the Christkindlmarkt truly set a joyous mood for the concert that same evening! 

Pottsgrove’s music ensembles have long awaited this winter concert after not holding one during last winter’s virtual school. Sophomore, Adaline Fulmer-Sicher performed in all three ensembles this year, stating, “It felt incredible to be back performing in front of people again!” This year’s concert sparked hope and joy within people’s hearts! Starting the concert off beautifully was the orchestra, conducted by Mr. William Einhorn, with the concertmaster, senior, Keira McDevitt. This year, the orchestra performed Jingle Bells Gone Wrong, Fidelio Overture, and Christmas Eve in Sarajevo. Mr. Einhorn’s selected pieces were classic holiday tunes with a twist, keeping the audience bopping along to the variations. Jingle Bells Gone Wrong and Christmas Eve in Sarajevo were especially recognizable, but due to their changes in key or layerings, they were refreshing to hear again. Thank you for the refreshing holiday tunes, and a job well-done to Mr. Einhorn and the orchestra!

The next ensemble to perform was the concert band, conducted by Ms. Ellie Zerefos. The band performed Salvation is Created, Lux Fantastque, Legend of Bafe, and Sleigh Ride. Besides the well-known Sleigh Ride containing the memorable CLAPS, bells, and a horse’s neigh, the other songs selected were not well-known holiday classics. Instead, Salvation is Created and Lux Fantastque embodied the spirit of winter and allowed the audience to make their interpretation of the season. Meanwhile, Legend of Bafe held the jubilation and humor of the students as Ms. Zerefos described the student’s version of the song featuring a space cow. Thank you to Ms. Zerefos and the concert band for creating a winter escape while performing!

The concert choir was the second to last group to perform. This year, director Ms. Sarah Fritshaffer chose O Magnum Mysterium and Mary Sat a Rockin’. Boy, did those voices ring through the room! O Magnum Mysterium is a piece containing Latin sacred text written for Christmas. Ms. Fritshaffer provided an easy-to-follow translation of the words and meaning within the concert program. Mary Sat A Rockin’ was a soulful, energetic, and the rhythmic number containing the story of Mary and baby Jesus in layered voice parts. Audience members could be seen bobbing their heads along to the rhythm and swaying to the flow of voices. Thank you to Ms. Fritshaffer and the choir for filling the hearts of the audience with winter spirit! 

Finally, to close off the concert, all three ensembles combined for the finale! Do You Hear What I Hear, a beloved and well-known classic, was the perfect way to close off the night! Sophomore, Liam Lapic, felt “The finale was the best part of the concert! I really enjoyed it!” Showcasing all music students together in one piece truly showed the strength of the music department and the beauty of music. The joys of the holiday filled the room, and cheers and smiles closed off the song. This year’s Pottsgrove High School Music Department Winter Concert was one to remember! Thank you to the directors and students for sharing your gift with the community, once again! Pottsgrove, please continue to support your music and art programs! Happy Holidays!