Arrival of Winter Sports: Information

December 11, 2020

As fall sport seasons have now officially wrapped up, we wait for the arrival of winter sports. Winter sports include boys and girls basketball, wrestling, swimming, bowling, and winter track.  To register, go to the athletics page of the Pottsgrove High School website and click on the link that says 2020-21 High School Winter Sports. Activities are scheduled to start sometime after Thanksgiving break and a completed physical that is dated after June 1st is required to participate in winter sports. 

Surrounding Covid-19, Governor Tom Wolf issued a mandate that requires people, and students to wear a mask at all times in the building including during athletic sporting events. At a recent boys basketball open gym, players were quoted saying, “I can’t breathe in this thing. I can’t go a whole season with this thing on.” And as perceived, the other student athletes did not like wearing a mask during practice either. Wrestling and swimming have an interesting dilemma going on surrounding the usage of masks. Wrestling is a high contact sport, and a mask will get in the way of performing at the highest level because of limited breathing due to the masks. Also, swimmers are in a weird situation because they cannot wear ones while they swim.

However, we as a district have dealt with these situations when we were in the fall season but now it might be worse. We encourage everyone to make smart decisions so we can have seasons this year. We owe it to ourselves and our community to do the right thing.