College Board and the SATs

January 25, 2021

With the ongoing stress from the Coronavrius and high number of cases, the College Board has made the decision to get rid of the optional essay and subject tests during the SAT. The pandemic has caused many schools to shut down, which has limited the opportunities for the SAT to be taken. Before taking the test, not everyone has the opportunity to be covid tested, and this is a way that Covid-19 has been spreading. “As students and colleges adapt to new realities and changes to the college admissions process, the College Board is making sure our programs adapt with them. We’re making some changes to reduce demands on students,” (CNN). Pressure can be coming in from all angles for the students taking the test, from current school work, and the world around them. The changes made to the SAT are to benefit students and to help them better prepare for college. 

In recent years, less colleges have required their students to take the SAT and this has also affected the decision made by the college board. Also with the introduction of AP testing, less students have felt the need to take the SAT subject tests. “AP provides a much richer and more flexible way for students to distinguish themselves,” says David Coleman, the Chief Executive of the College Board. Many colleges also do not find the essays as important as the rest of the test. Many colleges don’t require the students to take the essay to get into their colleges, so the essay has become less useful. The college board’s decision to get rid of their essay and subject tests will affect the future takers of the test.