DECA Club Running Virtually During Pandemic

December 17, 2020

Though the Coronavirus has caused many clubs at Pottsgrove High School to shut down, DECA is still going strong… virtually.  DECA is a club for students who are interested in business, marketing, and entrepreneurship.  It allows students to work on business related competitions and gives them opportunities to create activities for halftime shows during sports games. 

Unlike previous years, where students would compete in district, state, and national competitions in various locations, such as King of Prussia, Hershey Lodge, and Anaheim California, DECA is required to conduct their competitions through Zoom interviews and online testing.  One challenge this has brought Mr. Kriebel, the advisor of DECA, has been gaining new members.  He expresses his concerns by saying that, “Based on the limited socialization and networking opportunities due to the Covid-19 virus, it has been difficult to attract new members to the club this school year.”  

DECA has been able to overcome adversity, and will continue to work towards competing in the competitions.  Mr. Kriebel expresses his optimism by saying, “Even with the current restrictions in place, Pottsgrove DECA is going to continue to work hard towards competing in these three levels of competition and provide students with the real-world scenarios in the business atmosphere that will prepare them for not only college, but future employment.”  As of now, DECA will continue to run virtually, which is the closest thing to normal that its members will get.